Black Burpee Red Run
Simple but effective gasser of a workout for groups big and small…
Equipment: Playing cards, cones
Setup: Place 11 cones out in a row for running, separated about 5m (~15ft) apart, going away from the play area. Have cards shuffled and ready.
Game: When I have a small group of 1-5 people I like to do this as one team working together against the clock, but with any more than that I like to play this as teams of 2-3 competing against each other. Give each team a pile ~25 cards face down and spread them around for easy grabbing like this:
Each player will individually draw from their team pile until it is finished. Here’s the exercises:
- Black cards (Spades & Clubs): Complete as many jump burpees as the number on the card (10 for face cards, 11 for ace)
- Red cards (Diamonds & Hearts): Run to the cone that matches their number (Ace, being 11, is the furthest cone out)
First team to finish the pile wins, or if the solo team (or person) beat the clock, they win. When timing, I usually pick a time that expects each person to be able to finish around 2 cards per minute. This game can be played for multiple rounds – I usually pick a different type of burpee for each round. In fact, you can change up the black card exercises each round in such a way that you can have the bulk of your class be based on this game. It also makes a great finisher, since it is essentially constant running and burpees!
- Don’t play this on very windy days. You can figure out why.
- Have players put their drawn cards face up under their mats (like up in the header picture) or water bottle or in some way such that they know what they have done and don’t get confused.
- I take out most of the 2, 3, and 4 cards before playing 😉
- Free for All: Put a whole deck of cards in the middle and have each person work individually until someone gets 10 cards. Make sure to advance players numbers each round to avoid repeat-winners.
GamesFitness.com is a totally free, ad-free web site run by me, a regular ‘ol boot camp instructor. If you appreciate the content here and want to see more, please consider purchasing Cards Against Obesity, the fun fitness card game I created and use with my own clients, or my new eBook with over 40 premium fitness games. Thanks for your support!