Leap Frog Race
Another classic, equipment-free game from childhood with some extra elements added for adults…
Game: If you’re not familiar already, to “leap frog” someone is to jump over them, as they squat, with your legs wide. For this game, we just take this movement and add in some extra partner fitness elements to make it a complete game. You’ll want to partner people generally by their height. For those who can’t do the jump over their partner, the modification to use is to have them squat jump to the side of their partner rather than over them, and then squat jump again to the front of their partner. Also, this movement is more on the advanced side so if you have a group with a lot of newbies or less atheltic folks you may not want to do this, as you will have a class full of people just doing the modification.
I like to create a race “track” that’s maybe 50yds total in length (I usually do 25yds out in a line, and then double back), with “pit-stops” (cones) at 1/4, 1/2, and 3/4 of the way along the “track”. At each of these “pit-stops” they must do 20reps of a given partner exercise. First team to finish the race wins. Here are some of the exercises I usually choose from for the pit-stops:
- Squat Jump High Fives – High five at the top of each simultaneous squat jump
- Push-Up Low Fives – High five after each simultaneous push-up
- Low- or High-Plank Patty-Cakes – Reach out from plank to high-five your partner, alternate arms
- Burpee High Five – High five at the top of each simultaneous burpee
- Sit-Up High Five – High five at the top of each simultaneous sit-up
Pro-Tip: Remind players to get as low as possible and duck their head as their partner is jumping over them (especially if their partner is a guy 😉
- Frogerpillar: Combine this game with Caterpillar Crawl. For example, have the teams race out leap frog style, and back caterpillar style.
GamesFitness.com is a totally free, ad-free web site run by me, a regular ‘ol boot camp instructor. If you appreciate the content here and want to see more, please consider purchasing Cards Against Obesity, the fun fitness card game I created and use with my own clients, or my new eBook with over 40 premium fitness games. Thanks for your support!